Friday, July 07, 2006

2768

Well, I think this will be my last entry. The title is 2768 because according to my computer, that's how far we went. I decided to write this today, July 7th, because today would have been the day we finished up. Pete's parents drove up from Las Vegas on the 3rd and rescued us from the black hole that had become Ely. We drove through Nevada and saw the terrain we would have seen and crossed the passes we would have crossed. It was a lot different driving than biking in several ways. I still was feeling quite crappy and I stared out the window, aloof, detatched and humbled to the circumstances that had ended our trip. We headed to Reno for the evening and then spent the 4th there. I actually spent most of the 4th on my back, nauseous and weak in the hotel room. The 5th marked our entrance into California and the parting of Pete and I. He stayed in the San Francisco area while my aunt came and picked me up and took me back to San Jose. I could tell that he was really glad to see his parents and spend some time with them. He hadn't expected to be able to see them again before Mexico. I've been hanging out here with my aunt and cousin in San Jose and Pete has been spending time with his family in San Francisco, getting ready to head to Mexico on Sunday the 9th. I actually didn't really start feeling too much better till today, and I'm still not 100% yet. I don't think I'll be back to 100% for another few days. I think we made the right decision and I'm so thankful and proud of what we have accomplished. This has been quite a challenging and interesting experience and I know Pete and I are both better people for having done it. We raised over $2000 for Amani already and I may be getting an article spot in a community paper out here that my cousin's boyfriend writes for, so the prospects are still looking great. Thanks again for everyone who was actively and passively supporting our trip and thank you to everyone who donated to the Amani Children's foundation and for the movie as well (which I think will turn out very well also). It's been a heck of a summer, that's for sure.
Love,
Alex

PS-Look for pictures that I'll be posting up here on the blog soon. I've been able to check them out and some of them are GREAT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home